[Insight-developers] Contribution of a 3D thinning filter

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 27 14:28:55 EDT 2007

In the comments on the existing class it says 'TODO: Make this ND.'

The most ideal way for you to proceed is to look again at your code and see
if it's possible to make it work in the 2D (and perhaps higher dimensions)
case.  Will it work if you give it a 3D image with a third dimension of one?
If so,the only complication is finding the places where it assumes 3D --
setting up indexes, dimensions, direction cosines.

Then, make sure it implements the same public interface as the existing
code, and submit it to the Insight Journal.  After evaluation, then, it can
simply replace the old file.

It looks like the itkBinaryThinningImageFilter currently does no Concept
Check for the dimension, so I don't know what it would do if you used 3D
image types...