[Insight-developers] Contribution of a 3D thinning filter

Hanno Homann hanno.homann at freenet.de
Thu Sep 27 15:18:43 EDT 2007

Hello,

Recently I had to implement a 3D thinning (skeletonisation) filter,
as ITK currently only contains the 2D "itkBinaryThinningImageFilter".
The code worked reliably and decently fast on my data and I now would
like to contribute it to ITK.

I do see two alternatives: 1) to change the current filter such that
it can then do 2D and 3D, or 2) to simply add a new
"itkBinaryThinningImageFilter_3D". In my view the latter makes sense
because the realisation in 3D is rather different from 2D and the code
of a combined filter would contain two mostly independent parts. But
what would you you recommend?

Also would someone like to assist me with the submission process, since
I haven't done this before..?

Thanks,
Hanno