[Insight-developers] Contribution of a 3D thinning filter

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Sep 27 14:38:33 EDT 2007

Le 27 sept. 07 à 20:28, kent williams a écrit :

> In the comments on the existing class it says 'TODO: Make this ND.'
>
> The most ideal way for you to proceed is to look again at your code
> and see
> if it's possible to make it work in the 2D (and perhaps higher
> dimensions)
> case.  Will it work if you give it a 3D image with a third
> dimension of one?
> If so,the only complication is finding the places where it assumes
> 3D --
> setting up indexes, dimensions, direction cosines.
>
> Then, make sure it implements the same public interface as the
> existing
> code, and submit it to the Insight Journal.  After evaluation,
> then, it can
> simply replace the old file.
>
> It looks like the itkBinaryThinningImageFilter currently does no
> Concept
> Check for the dimension, so I don't know what it would do if you
> used 3D
> image types...

It should give some bad things: it contains some code like

   OffsetType o2 = {{0,-1}};
   OffsetType o3 = {{1,-1}};
   OffsetType o4 = {{1,0}};

where OffsetType would be an itk::Offset<3> with a 3D image.

I'm not sure it's easy to compute the set of offsets for N dimension,
so it may be difficult to make it work in ND.

Gaëtan