[Insight-developers] PLEASE *DO NOT* COMMIT CHANGES TO ITK BRANCHES

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Oct 22 21:05:09 EDT 2007

Mathieu,

1)  Who requested this backporting to the ITK 3.4 branch ?

     Where is the bug entry in the MANTIS bug tracker ?

     If we are talking about:

        0005173: ITKConfig.cmake should not export SOURCE DIR

     This not a bug assigned to the ITK 3.4 branch.

2)  Adding/removing lines of code without submitting builds
     to the Dashboard is *experimenting*.

     In particular, the changes:
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ITKConfig.cmake.in?root=Insight&only_with_tag=ITK-3-4&r2=1.20.2.1&r1=1.20

     Can only be tested by

       1) Building ITK with ITK_LEGACY_REMOVE OFF,
       2) Then installing ITK
       3) Building an application that uses ITK_SOURCE_DIR,
          against that installed ITK.

     There is no such submission in the Dashboard.
     Therefore, we don't even have a proof that these
     lines actually work.

     In fact,

         Bill Hoffman's rule holds true once again:

            Anything that is NOT Tested IS Broken.

     These lines *do not work*, because ITK_LEGACY_REMOVE has *never*
     been defined in ITK. The first definition of this CMake variable
     was added to the main CMakeLists.txt file just seven days ago
     in the CVS HEAD:

http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/CMakeLists.txt?root=Insight&r1=1.271&r2=1.272

     These definition never existed in ITK 3.4 nor previous releases.

     The work of copying the VTK legacy macros into ITK was half done
     and we were using the macros in some places without having defined
     the CMake variables to control them.

3)  CVS write access to any Open Source project is a privilege.

     The fact that you do it in your free time without being paid
     is quite nice indeed, and we appreciate it very much.

     We all do many things in our free time, and do not get paid
     for many of them. That doesn't mean the we are excluded from
     having to follow the rules of technical quality defined by
     the community.

4)  You are right that we should use an automated method for
     enforcing the control of commits to branches. These events
     demonstrate that setting verbal rules is not sufficient,
     and that is not effective.

         Luis