[Insight-developers] ITK not redistributable: copyright statement incomplete

Steve Robbins smr at sumost.ca
Mon Sep 25 10:57:23 EDT 2006

Hello Luis,

I'm encouraged by your rapid and robust response.  I think the
Consortium will have no trouble fixing these oversights.

I want to re-iterate, however, that my list is incomplete.  I stopped
checking once it was clear that Debian cannot accept ITK as-is.
Moreover, I was grepping for copyright notices in the source and
headers; I did not check for files *missing* copyright and license
text altogether.

So more work is needed.  I'm willing to keep looking when I have time,
but I'm more than happy to split the work with others!  ;-)

Quoting Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>:

> 6)  Utilities/vxl/v3p/netlib:  Netlib and IMSL stuff, no license
>
>                  This one is surprisingly tricky. The web site:
>
>                                www.netlib.org
>
>                  has very sparse information about copyrights and
>                  licensing. There is however a LAPACK Debian
>                  package already, so we probably only need to
>                  add credits to netlib here...

Maybe; however, there's a note at the bottom of
http://netlib.bell-labs.com/netlib/master/readme.html which reads:

     Also, the restrictions on copyright, commercial use, etc. vary;
     check each directory for details.

I didn't actually have a look at what is in vxl/v3p/netlib.  If it
includes LAPACK, then why not simply remove it and use the vendor
LAPACK?

Regards,
-Steve