[Insight-developers] ITK not redistributable: copyright statement incomplete

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Sep 25 17:41:59 EDT 2006

Hi Steve,

              We appreciate your efforts.

It is still a good idea for us to review what kind of
copyrights are currently in the toolkit.

Here is the status of the offending files:

  1) DICOMParser:  We are testing an experimental build in which
                   this files are removed. This is a deprecated
                   set of files that can be removed before ITK 3.0

  2) AnalyzeDB.h:  Vincent is requesting permission to the Mayo
                   Clinic for transfering the copyright to ITK

  3) PixelData:    GE Copyrights,
                   Vincent is contacting the providers of this
                   code too.

  4) OctreeNode:   Vincent will transfer copyright to the ISC.

  5) ThresholdMaximumConnectedComponents: Ken Urish is sending
                   the copyright transfer form to Josh Cates.
                   The copyfight has already been fixed in the
                   CVS repository.

  6) Netlib:       More on netlib at the end of this email...

  7) The triangle.c/h and showme.c files have been removed.
                   Their copyright/license was incompatible with
                   ITK and their functionality was not needed.
                   These removed the "itknetlib" library.

  8) itk_hash_map:  It has copyrights by SGI and HP, but the license
                   is consistent with BSD-like. So we simply need
                   to acknowledge those in our general copyright.

  9) itkMersenneTwisterRandomVariateGenerator:
                 Copyright: Makoto Matsumoto and Takuji Nishimura,
                 Copyright: Richard J. Wagner
                 under a BSD-Like license.

  10) Code/Numerics/FEM/dsrc2c.c :

                 Copyright: 1977 IMSL Inc, no license !!

  11) Code/Numerics/cvsrmvend

                 Copyright:  Greg A. Woods
                 "Freely distributable"
                 I guess that counts as BSD...
                 Easy to remove if it becomes a problem,
                 This is just a script for making easier
                 the CVS syncs of VXL.

  12) Testing/Code/IO/itkIOHeaderTest.cxx:

                 Copyright: National Library of Medicine !!!
                 Actually this is created by the Tcl script

           Insight/Utilities/Dart/BuildHeadrTests.tcl

                 A fix has been commited for this file...

   13) Testing/Code/Numerics/NeuralNetworks:

                 Copyright: CADDLab at UNC
                 Fixed now in CVS --> ISC

Utilities:

   A) JPEG      :  Thomas G Lane ( BSD-Like)
                :  DCMTK : OFFIS... and many others... but BSD-Like

   B) OpenJPEG  :  Universite Catholique de Louvain:  BSD license

   C) NrrdIO      :  Gordon Kindlmann and  University of Utah
                   BSD-Like license. Clarifies that the original
                   package "Teem" (not in ITK) is still under GPL license

   D) NIFTI     :  No copyright ?
                   There is no mention of licensing nor copyright
                   at the NIFTI Web site:

                       http://nifti.nimh.nih.gov/nifti-1

                   However at http://niftilib.sourceforge.net it
                   appears as "public domain" license!!, but in
                   its subdirectory matlibs it has a GPL license.
                   its subdirectory jlibs is public domain
                   its subdirecotry clibs is public domain

      in ITK it has a subdir:
      fsliolib  :  From the FSL package:
                   University of Oxford: NO FOR COMMERCIAL USE

                        This code has been removed !

   E) EXPAT     : Thai Open Source Software Center Ltd and Clark Cooper.
                  with BSD-Like license

   F) PNG       : Copyright: Glen Randers-Pehrson
                             Andreas Dilger
                             Guy Erc Schalnat

   G) TIFF      : Copyright Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics

   H) GDCM      : Copyright: CREATIS:

   I) ZLIB      : Copyright:  Mark Adler

   J) kwsys     : Copyright: Kitware : BSD-Like License