[Insight-developers] ITK not redistributable: copyright statement incomplete

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Sep 23 20:02:36 EDT 2006

Hi Steve,

             Thanks for pointing this out.

This is very timely to our discussion on how to accept new code
into the Insight Toolkit. This Copyright issues are of grave
importance. They are indeed one of few factor that threaten
the evolution of Open Source software. Most the of the copyright
issues that you listed are the result of a lax policy on accepting
new code into ITK.

                          -----

There seem to be multiple problems, with the copyright notices,
so we may have to arrange for a combination of solutions.

          Let me suggest here some options for
          each one of the cases that you listed:

0) VXL and VTK:  I would suggest that we add more visible credits
                  to both VTK and VXL. That may imply to retouch
                  the copyright headers of *all* ITK files.

1) DICOMParser:  It is a deprecated code. We don't need it now
                  that GDCM provides much better DICOM support.

                  These code should never have been added to ITK
                  without a copyright transferm to ISC. That being
                  said, we thank Matt Turek for allowing us to
                  distribute this code with ITK.

                  I vote to remove it before the release of ITK 3.0.

2) AnalyzeDhb:   Mayo Clinic Copyrights.

                  I suggest we ask for help from Hans Johnson and
                  Kent Williams to see if the Mayo Clinic can grant
                  a BSD-like license to the ISC in order to distribute
                  this code.

                  If no copyright transfer is possible we should remove
                  this code from ITK, and find another way of imple
                  menting Analyze readers.

3) itkPixelData: GE Copyrights.

                  I suggest we ask for help to Bill Lorensen and
                  Jim Miller to see if a copyright transfer is possible
                  in this case, or whether GE can grant a BSD-like
                  license to the ISC for distributing this code.

                  Note that this header is only used by the DICOMParser
                  in(1) to be deprecated, and by the GE5ImageIO.

                  If no copyright transfer is possible we should remove
                  this code from ITK. This code is of secondary impor-
                  tance and will affect a minority of users.

4) itkOctreeNode.h/cxx:  University of Iowa, Vincent Magnotta

                 I suggest we ask for help from Vincent Magnotta, for
                 transfering the copyright to the ISC, or to provide
                 a BSD-license to the ISC for distributing this code.

                 If not copyright transfer, or license is possible,
                 this code should be removed from ITK before ITK 3.0.

5) itkThresholdMaximumConnectedComponentsImageFilter:   Ken Urish.

                 This one is my mistake. I uploaded this code from
                 Ken's contribution to the Insight Journal, and skipped
                 the formality of asking for a copyright transfer.

                 I will follow with Ken if he is willing to transfer
                 the copyright to the ISC, or provide a BSD-Like license
                 to the ISC for distributing the code.

                 If not copyright transfer, or license is possible,
                 this code should be removed from ITK before ITK 3.0.

6)  Utilities/vxl/v3p/netlib:  Netlib and IMSL stuff, no license

                  This one is surprisingly tricky. The web site:

                                www.netlib.org

                  has very sparse information about copyrights and
                  licensing. There is however a LAPACK Debian
                  package already, so we probably only need to
                  add credits to netlib here...

7)  triangle.h/c:  Copyright Jr Shewchuk,

                  The license excludes commercial use.

                  This is in complete contradiction to the BSD-Like
                  license of ITK.

                  The program triangle.c is actually a 2D Mesh generator
                  for Delaunay Triangulations. There is no reason for
                  having such functionality in ITK.

                  I just removed the files from CVS.

Please let us know if you find these options to be reasonable,
and if I missed any of the issues that you pointed out.