[Insight-developers] IJ Volunteers : THE MATRIX : RED PILL

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Sun Sep 17 14:45:40 EDT 2006

Hi everyone --

Little as I want to get myself into the middle of a heated argument, I'd
like to throw in a few thoughts of my own. I also may have missed pieces
of the discussion thus far, so my apologies if I am bringing up things
that have already been addressed.

First, I have a comment on Zach's suggestion to increase review activity
for the IJ by accepting submissions only from people who have provided
at least three reviews for other papers. While I appreciate the problem
of getting reviews (trust me, I do), here's the perspective of someone
who effectively stopped contributing code to ITK when the whole IJ
process was implemented: I don't get paid to provide code to ITK, much
less to write test cases and documentation (still, I see why these are
necessary, so I'll do it). I am getting paid, however, to write code,
and I do believe it has some value.

Now if I choose to make the result of my work freely available to
others, then there is a clear limit as to how much I will allow myself
to be hassled in order to be permitted to give my work away. Writing an
IJ paper to accompany the code has so far been a bit of a threshold for
me because I am simply to busy. Being required to review other works
first before I can even think of submitting a paper, well, let's just
say it would be pretty much a guarantee that at least this potential
developer would never contribute anything ever again.

Okay, this may have been pretty pointed, so before I draw the wrath of
everyone involved upon me, let me backpaddle a little: all I am saying
is that most code contributions to ITK, and definitely those from
parties not funded by any related NIH projects, are essentially gifts.
And in my opinion, the ITK community would be well-advised to not
"punish" folks for wanting to make such gifts. That is, if the community
agrees that such contributions are valuable.

A second point I would like to make, and completely unrelated to
anything above: I have noticed that there are a few papers on the IJ
that are not really about contributions to ITK. In fact, there are some
where the source code of the software is not even available (I'll be
happy to dig up examples). This leads me to wonder:

If the primary purpose of the IJ is to review code contributions to ITK,
should submissions that are not concerned with such contributions even
be allowed? If they are, they may take reviewing capacity away from the
"worthy" papers, and it also makes it necessary for the interested
readers to dig through a paper to find out whether or not they can
simply download and try the code or not. On the other hand, if the IJ is
intended to be more than a channel for code into ITK, then maybe it
should be split into separate sections?

All that said, I don't want to appear all negative. So I just went and
updated my review preferences for the IJ, and I promise I'll make an
effort to start reviewing papers after MICCAI. If you guys also still
need volunteers to function as AEs for the IJ (I lost the invitation
email), then I'd be happy to do that as well.

Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Research Scientist             333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"