[Insight-developers] IJ Volunteers : THE MATRIX : RED PILL

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Sep 17 15:31:15 EDT 2006

Hi Torsten,

You bring up several good points:

1) There is a limit to the hassles that volunteers will go through
    in order to give their code away to the community.

    After all, you are right, they are not paid for doing so.

    The tricky question then is:

         How do we (the ITK community) ensure the quality
         of new code that goes into the toolkit ?

    We were expecting that "community reviews" was a good answer to
    this issue. The assumption was that from 1,200 (known) users
    who enjoy using the toolkit for free, triplets of them will be
    willing to review a paper from time to time. After all, they are
    the ones that will use that contributed code later on.

    Unfortunately, what we have learned so far is that it takes a
    lot of energy to motivate users to participate of the peer-review
    process. From the social point of view, this is has hard as
    getting people out of their houses and bringing them to vote
    on election day.

2) I may have to disagree with the statement that writing tests and
    documentation is "different" from writing code. Source code that
    has not been tested and documented is not "complete" source code,
    and will cost many times its development price in maintenance
    headaches and Hara-Kiris of future developers and users. It is a
    well known fact in software engineering that 80% of the cost of
    software development goes in maintenance, after the code has been
    declared to be "completed", and most of this maintenance cost is
    spent by "other" developers reading the code and trying to
    understand what the code does, even before they can retouch it.

    The simple rule is :  If it is not tested, it does not work.
                          If it not documented, it will be misused.

3) They IJ has some contributions that are unrelated to ITK and
    it will be desirable to create a separate section only for ITK.

    I agree with this suggestion. This will also make easier for
    other toolkits such as VTK and IGSTK to use the IJ as community
    resource.

       Regards,

          Luis