[Imstk-developers] Minimum System Requirements

Sreekanth Arikatla sreekanth.arikatla at kitware.com
Mon Oct 3 20:25:37 EDT 2016

Sure, we can only test if we know for sure we are doing the best in terms
of algorithmic performance. Even then I think the only thing we can say is
the minimum configuration need to run all the examples that come with the
code.

Beyond that the users are expected to know the requirements based on
computational load for the application they intend to build using iMSTK.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Alexis Girault <alexis.girault at kitware.com>
wrote:

> It's going to be hard to judge this before we do the minimum performance
> improvements and optimizations. I think we should wait until we start using
> iMSTK for our applications at which point we can look more into what it can
> handle. I don't think we need to define the requirements that early.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Alexis Girault
> R&D Engineer in Medical Computing
> Kitware, Inc.
>
> http://www.kitware.com
> (919) 969-6990 x325
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Milef, Nicholas Boris <milefn at rpi.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> What are the minimum requirements for iMSTK?
>>
>> GPU VR: generally the GTX 970 is the default minimum requirement. This is
>> recommended for HTC Vive:
>> https://www.vive.com/us/ready/. There are many reasons for this
>> (including needing 90 FPS), but it's not going to go much lower than that.
>>
>> GPU non-VR: that's much tougher. Is there some sort of baseline that's
>> been determined?
>>
>> CPU: it's tough because this application is more multi-threaded than many
>> games, so it would seem that some sort of 4 virtual core CPU might be a
>> good minimum, or something along those lines. Since iMSTK is very modular,
>> it may be the case that the CPU minimum can be even lower.
>>
>> Memory: we can test this. I don't think this will be a huge issue since
>> today everything is loaded with extra RAM, but we can see the average for
>> the simplest simulation and multiply it by some constant.
>>
>> OS: I guess that's already listed on the ReadMe.
>>
>> Really, the best way to test this is to use the minimum hardware and try
>> running on that:
>> http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/437/how-do-i-dete
>> rmine-my-games-minimum-hardware-software-requirements

Sreekanth Arikatla, Ph.D,
Senior R&D Engineer,
Kitware, Inc. <http://www.kitware.com>, Carrboro, NC.