[Ctk-developers] a story of two lists

Stephen Aylward stephen.aylward at kitware.com
Tue Apr 13 11:52:52 EDT 2010

I think having two lists is a good idea.

Many people will simply subscribe to both - but different people will
have different interests and levels of involvement.   My thought is
that perhaps the second list would be for people who want to track the
community without knowing anything about the code (e.g., program
officers at funding agencies, administrators, etc).   As such, perhaps
we should change the names and purposes of the list slightly:

ctk-developers covers all things related to the code: architectural
discussions, copyright, licensing, which libraries to include, etc.
This is the really active, high-traffic list.

ctk-announcements covers all things "public": advertising and
organizational matters of the community: meetings, grant proposals,
funding opportunities, etc.   It is intended for the passive
participants.   Hence "announcements"    It should not receive heavy
traffic or people will unsubscribe.

I don't feel strongly about this - but I think it might be hard to
separate copyright from library inclusion discussions, implementation
from architecture discussions, etc., and most of the time people
join/leave lists based on traffic/spam.   We should make it easy for
everyone to track us and yet not involve them in every discussion.

Stephen