[Ctk-developers] a story of two lists

Marco Viceconti viceconti at tecno.ior.it
Wed Apr 14 07:59:17 EDT 2010

The idea or creating a public list for "passive" members called
announcements is probably a good idea in due time; now it might be a
bit too early for that, I do not know.

But what I proposed is different.  It is quite clear that in Kitware
organisation the same person follow the entire life cycle of the
software from general strategic issues such as copyright,
architecture, etc. to actual hands-on programming.  But this is not
the case in my organisation, where for example I do play an active
role in architectural design, but I do not materially program myself
since 19..., well a long while ago.

Now if most participating organisations are organised as Kitware, it
make more sense to stay all on one list; on the contrary if the
majority is organised as B3C, then it is better to split in two, both
"active" but focused on different aspects.

Cheers

Marco

Il giorno 13 Apr 2010, alle ore 17:52, Stephen Aylward ha scritto:

> I think having two lists is a good idea.
>
> Many people will simply subscribe to both - but different people will
> have different interests and levels of involvement.   My thought is
> that perhaps the second list would be for people who want to track the
> community without knowing anything about the code (e.g., program
> officers at funding agencies, administrators, etc).   As such, perhaps
> we should change the names and purposes of the list slightly:
>
> ctk-developers covers all things related to the code: architectural
> discussions, copyright, licensing, which libraries to include, etc.
> This is the really active, high-traffic list.
>
> ctk-announcements covers all things "public": advertising and
> organizational matters of the community: meetings, grant proposals,
> funding opportunities, etc.   It is intended for the passive
> participants.   Hence "announcements"    It should not receive heavy
> traffic or people will unsubscribe.
>
> I don't feel strongly about this - but I think it might be hard to
> separate copyright from library inclusion discussions, implementation
> from architecture discussions, etc., and most of the time people
> join/leave lists based on traffic/spam.   We should make it easy for
> everyone to track us and yet not involve them in every discussion.
>
> Stephen
>

> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Tarbox, Lawrence <tarboxl at mir.wustl.edu
> > wrote:
>> Good idea.

MARCO VICECONTI, PhD
(viceconti at tecno.ior.it)
Laboratorio di Tecnologia Medica              tel.   39-051-6366865
Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli                            fax.
39-051-6366863
via di Barbiano 1/10, 40136 - Bologna, Italy

Tiger! Tiger! Burning bright in the forest of the night,
what immortal hand or eye could frame thy fearful symmetry?