[CMake] Help with non-standard use of CMake

Kyle Edwards kyle.edwards at kitware.com
Mon Dec 31 16:38:21 EST 2018

On Mon, 2018-12-31 at 16:16 -0500, Donald MacQueen [|] via CMake wrote:
> First, CMake is quite impressive. Nice job.
>
> I am using it in a non-standard way where I set a bunch of variables
> and
> then go straight to CTest thatI installs our software and then runs
> several hundred tests on it. The batch file looks like this:
>
> rmdir /s/q build
> mkdir build
> cd build
> cmake -Dx64=%x64% -Doption:STRING="%opt%" ..
> ctest -D Experimental -S
>
> I do not make or build or compile.
>
> I recently hooked this up to a CDash server which is very handy. I
> want
> to get the results that are sent to CDash, currently from Windows
> only,
> to be all green.
>
> Under Build I have one error: Build log line 2. The system cannot
> find
> the file specified. CMake Error: Generator: execution of make
> failed.
> Make command was: "nmake" "/nologo" "-i"

You could try one of several things:

1) Running with a different generator, such as one of the Visual Studio
   generators or the Ninja generator, or
2) Installing NMake.

However, I am a little curious about what you're doing in your use
case. You say you're not building anything. Does your sofware exist in
the form of scripts (Python, Perl, etc.), or are you downloading pre-
built binaries from somewhere?

> Under Build I have one warning: Build log line 1. *** WARNING non-
> zero
> return value in ctest from: C:\Program Files\CMake\bin\cmake.exe
>
> Is there a way to suppress the execution of these steps or their
> error
> messages?

Without knowing more details about what you're doing, it's possible
that dashboard scripts might be more suited for your use case... though
I see you have a -S argument at the end of your ctest invocation but no
script after it... what's the purpose of this?

See https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.13/manual/ctest.1.html#dashboard-cl
ient-via-ctest-script for details on dashboard scripts.

Kyle