[CMake] Help with non-standard use of CMake

Alan W. Irwin Alan.W.Irwin1234 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 18:29:06 EST 2018

On 2018-12-31 16:38-0500 Kyle Edwards via CMake wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-12-31 at 16:16 -0500, Donald MacQueen [|] via CMake wrote:
>> First, CMake is quite impressive. Nice job.
>>
>> I am using it in a non-standard way where I set a bunch of variables
>> and
>> then go straight to CTest thatI installs our software and then runs
>> several hundred tests on it. The batch file looks like this:
>>
>> rmdir /s/q build
>> mkdir build
>> cd build
>> cmake -Dx64=%x64% -Doption:STRING="%opt%" ..
>> ctest -D Experimental -S
>>
>> I do not make or build or compile.
>>
>> I recently hooked this up to a CDash server which is very handy. I
>> want
>> to get the results that are sent to CDash, currently from Windows
>> only,
>> to be all green.
>>
>> Under Build I have one error: Build log line 2. The system cannot
>> find
>> the file specified. CMake Error: Generator: execution of make
>> failed.
>> Make command was: "nmake" "/nologo" "-i"
>
> You could try one of several things:
>
> 1) Running with a different generator, such as one of the Visual Studio
>    generators or the Ninja generator, or
> 2) Installing NMake.
>
> However, I am a little curious about what you're doing in your use
> case. You say you're not building anything. Does your sofware exist in
> the form of scripts (Python, Perl, etc.), or are you downloading pre-
> built binaries from somewhere?

I am curious as well about that issue.  It is possible the error he is getting
is because one or more of his tests are not working because he doesn't
use a build step to build something in his project that is needed by those tests.

So to ask the question directly to the OP, do you have any CMake logic
anywhere in this project that builds software, e.g., the add_library or
add_executable commands?  If so, you do have to build all such software
first (by building the "all" target) before you run ctest if any
of your ctest tests depend on those built libraries or executables.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin