[CMake] CMake "permission denied" problem (Windows 7 64-bit, CMake 2.8.1)

Phil Smith phil at voltage.com
Tue Mar 10 13:58:06 EDT 2015

Well, I finally got around this. I narrowed it down to a step in our build "scaffolding"--the stuff that makes a front-end script be the compiler, do both the C and asm steps. It was doing this, from within CMakeFiles\CmakeTmp:

cp CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.o testCCompiler.zASM

Changing the cp to an mv solves it. But before I got to that, I trapped it before that command and issued the cp manually; the resulting output file was still unreadable. BUT if I changed it to write the output file to another directory, it WAS readable. Which I don't get. Windows shows the same permissions for both directories. COPY had the same results; XCOPY worked (output was readable), but ran into the problem with XCOPY wanting to prompt for whether the target was a file or a directory (and the "append an asterisk" trick didn't quite work, due to different extension lengths; I then thought of copying it as the same name and renaming it, and then said "Doh, use mv", and here I am).

Anyway, I figured I'd close the loop here in case anyone else hits something similar. It'll remain somewhat of a mystery...

...phsiii