[CMake] Are the poor reviews of Mastering CMake Justified?

Raymond Wan rwan.work at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 03:38:41 EST 2015

Hi Jake,

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 5:02 AM, DJ <jakep at arqux.com> wrote:
> This all led me to consider purchasing the book Mastering CMake. However,
> reviews on Amazon are generally very critical of the book. It is indeed
> expensive. Should I bother to shell out for it, or do others here share this
> negative evaluation of it? I don't want to waste my money.

I've purchased the book (the older edition) and it is fine.  I mean,
I'm a bit old-school and do prefer a printed book.  Online docs seem
more of an excuse to easily swap between reading and a distraction
(i.e. Facebook) -- but that's just me.

Indeed, it is similar to the online manuals.  And those will get
updated with each subsequent version; a book will not (e-book or on
paper).

I had a hard time getting into CMake and the book isn't written like a
tutorial.  I mean, it explains the first few steps and then jumps to a
reference book (I don't have it with me, but this is from memory).  I
guess there is value in having a CMake book that is entirely a
tutorial or even one of "recipes" -- Mastering CMake (as far as I can
remember) isn't that.

For that, you'd probably have to use the Web...

Ray

PS:  I don't regret buying the book.  At the time, I was really stuck
and overwhelmed by the online documentation.  Having it printed made
it a bit easier for me.  Each person learns differently, but skimming
over the Amazon comments, they seem accurate.  Of course, buy the
latest edition if you end up buying.