[CMake] Are the poor reviews of Mastering CMake Justified?

Nagy-Egri Máté Ferenc csiga.biga at aol.com
Sun Dec 20 12:24:10 EST 2015

Hi DJ,

I had the same feeling when I started out with CMake. Tutorials are generally of low quality, and the price of the book is steep. I asked a while back if there would be a digital version of it, that could come cheaper due to the lack of paper and distribution hassle, but Kitware said there is no intent on having a digital copy.

CMake however is a fine piece of software (not the best, but it gets the job done with a tolerable amount of frustration), and once you have it mastered, you can get serious *hit done in a matter of minutes. Even without cross-platform, dependency finding is alone worth it, not to mention unit tests built in.

As for learning, I would highly suggest reading CMake scripts of other projects, as there are some very nice scripts. SFML’s scripts are easy to read (though get complicated towards the end), and also some FindModule.cmake scripts (FindOpenCL.cmake that ships with CMake starting from version 3.0 is nice) are useful. After reading some scripts, cooking up some of your own isn’t hard.

Cheers,
Máté