[CMake] Are the poor reviews of Mastering CMake Justified?

DJ jakep at arqux.com
Fri Dec 18 16:02:47 EST 2015

I have only very recently encountered the need to use cmake. It seems
this need came all at once out of the blue.

It appears to me that there is a general perception that good tutorial
material is in short supply. I have followed various tutorials that are
available online and find them less than stellar. I am mostly familiar
with gnu toolchain stuff. I admit that I am biased here because my own
work presents zero requirement for cross-platform builds. So far I find
cmake documentation to be considerably inferior to gnu documentation,
but that's just me.

This all led me to consider purchasing the book Mastering CMake.
However, reviews on Amazon are generally very critical of the book. It
is indeed expensive. Should I bother to shell out for it, or do others
here share this negative evaluation of it? I don't want to waste my money.

Best,

- Jake -