[CMake] [cmake-developers] Forwarding parameters to cmake through cmake-gui

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Nov 6 15:33:54 EST 2013

On 11/06/2013 02:55 PM, physhh . wrote:
> How should we proceed? I think Mathew understood what's my problem.

This thread has covered use cases in which it makes sense to apply
(or not apply) command-line parameters in cmake-gui for various
cases.  No one automatic behavior is going to satisfy everyone.

Nobody picked up on Matthew's suggestion here:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/8553/focus=8553

which was:

On 11/05/2013 02:56 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> What about having an option (e.g. a combo box) when to apply command
> line options?
>
> - At startup (only initial / specified on command line build directory)
> - New projects (when no CMakeCache.txt exists yet, but also at startup)
> - Unconfigured projects (per my original proposal)
> - Always (i.e. when selecting a different build directory)
>
> The default could be 'new projects' if no build directory is specified
> on the command line (probably you are giving "common" rather than
> project specific options in this case), otherwise 'at startup' (more
> chance options are project specific).

Another approach is to have an "Apply Command Line Parameters"
button appear whenever -Dvar=value parameters were passed.
This will allow users to put their command-line options into
effect at any time without changing any settings.  The button
should not pay attention to command-line options that set the
source/build trees.

If that is not sufficient then Matthew's proposed combo box
can be used to select when command-line parameters are applied
automatically.

-Brad