[CMake] [cmake-developers] Forwarding parameters to cmake through cmake-gui

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Wed Nov 6 15:45:33 EST 2013

+1

I like the idea of the ["Apply Command Line Parameters" button appear
whenever -Dvar=value parameters were passed.]

Would also be nice if parameter like "-G" ... could also be considered for
the first configuration. Within some of our project, I envision user
downloading a "bat" script named "BuildMyProjectWithVS2008.bat" that would
pass all the expected option to cmake-gui. Aware the same could be done
directly with cmake or ccmake .. but visual studio user often expects UI
with buttons

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> On 11/06/2013 02:55 PM, physhh . wrote:
> > How should we proceed? I think Mathew understood what's my problem.
>
> This thread has covered use cases in which it makes sense to apply
> (or not apply) command-line parameters in cmake-gui for various
> cases.  No one automatic behavior is going to satisfy everyone.
>
> Nobody picked up on Matthew's suggestion here:
>

> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/8553/focus=8553
>
> which was:
>
> On 11/05/2013 02:56 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > What about having an option (e.g. a combo box) when to apply command
> > line options?
> >
> > - At startup (only initial / specified on command line build directory)
> > - New projects (when no CMakeCache.txt exists yet, but also at startup)
> > - Unconfigured projects (per my original proposal)
> > - Always (i.e. when selecting a different build directory)
> >
> > The default could be 'new projects' if no build directory is specified
> > on the command line (probably you are giving "common" rather than
> > project specific options in this case), otherwise 'at startup' (more
> > chance options are project specific).
>
> Another approach is to have an "Apply Command Line Parameters"
> button appear whenever -Dvar=value parameters were passed.
> This will allow users to put their command-line options into
> effect at any time without changing any settings.  The button
> should not pay attention to command-line options that set the
> source/build trees.
>
> If that is not sufficient then Matthew's proposed combo box
> can be used to select when command-line parameters are applied
> automatically.
>
> -Brad
> --

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ