[CMake] [cmake-developers] Forwarding parameters to cmake through cmake-gui

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Tue Nov 5 22:18:36 EST 2013

> On Nov 5, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Matthew Woehlke <matthew.woehlke at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-11-05 17:40, David Cole wrote:
>> I would simply like to point out, with all due respect, that in the
>> non-CLI use case, it is IMPOSSIBLE to pass command line parameters.
>
> 1. I can modify my shortcut / .desktop file (which I previously stated as a use case for the feature).
>
> 2. I can launch cmake-gui from the run / launcher dialog.
>
> In both cases, I'm not using a (full) CLI, but I can still pass "command line" arguments. (The latter is admittedly a little CLI-like, but its working directory is still poorly defined and probably you are not specifying a build directory in that case.)

Ok, I guess I should know better than to use the word IMPOSSIBLE...

Although I would call both of those (perhaps sideways) CLI usage.

I think the feature should be well-defined and easy to explain before it's implemented.

I will defer to the wisdom of the crowd on this, (i.e. I've said my piece and now I'll be quiet) but if it can't be explained in a short paragraph of text, I still maintain that it's overly complicated.