[CMake] Generating for cygwin

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 17:14:51 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>wrote:

> See my email about the VS variables and gmake version.  Also, you will
> need to set CC=cl and CXX=cl before running CMake, or when you run
> cmake-gui click on the Specify native compilers button after you select
> "Unix Makefiles".  Then put in cl for the c and C++ compiler.  The
> confusion is coming from the subject of this message.  You are not asking
> how to generate for a cygwin tool chain.  You are asking how to you
> generate for gmake from cygwin with the VS tool chain, which is a totally
> different thing that using the cygwin compiler tool chain. Lucky for you
> this is my preferred tool set.  :)

I think my incorrect subject is symbolic of the fact that I don't know what
I'm looking for ;)

So you're basically saying that from cmake-gui on Windows, point C and CXX
to cl.exe? I did this but got a big fat error message:

CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to
"Unix Makefiles". CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set. You probably need to
select a different build tool.

CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.

Missing variable is:

CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR

CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
file:C:/Code/work/sandbox/cmake-gfe-dev/build2/CMakeFiles/CMakeCCompiler.cmake

CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.

Missing variable is:

CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR

CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
file:C:/Code/work/sandbox/cmake-gfe-dev/build2/CMakeFiles/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!