[CMake] Generating for cygwin

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Nov 10 16:51:31 EST 2011

On 11/10/2011 4:32 PM, Robert Dailey wrote:
> Thanks for the info guys but none of this really helps me out,
> especially the links to the CDash stuff. I don't even really know what
> I'm looking for.
>
> What generator do I need to use when I run cmake in cygwin? Isn't that
> all I need? Won't CMake automatically pick up the MSVC compiler, even if
> it is inside Cygwin? I have MSVC 7.1, 8, and 9 on my system. The other
> thing I'm not sure of is how to tell CMake in Cygwin which MSVC compiler
> to use. If I need to setup environment variables, how do I know which
> ones CMake will be looking for and what the values should be?

See my email about the VS variables and gmake version.  Also, you will
need to set CC=cl and CXX=cl before running CMake, or when you run
cmake-gui click on the Specify native compilers button after you select
"Unix Makefiles".  Then put in cl for the c and C++ compiler.  The
confusion is coming from the subject of this message.  You are not
asking how to generate for a cygwin tool chain.  You are asking how to
you generate for gmake from cygwin with the VS tool chain, which is a
totally different thing that using the cygwin compiler tool chain.
Lucky for you this is my preferred tool set.  :)

-Bill