[CMake] Source file symlinks on out-of-source builds

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu Dec 3 15:08:36 EST 2009

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:59:01 -0200, Rodolfo Schulz de Lima <rodolfo at rodsoft.org> wrote:
> Hi Jed, I know about ctags and the like, but I'm don't use them (but I
> should). But these tools cover only a part of the problem. If you want
> to go to another file and there's no useful context around the current
> file position to make you go there, you would have to explicitly enter
> the file name.

I use command-find-tag "M-." and enter (a) part of the file name (not
including the path) or (b) part of the function name, with tab
completion, or (c) part of the struct name also with tab completion, and
it takes me to the definition.  No need to enter paths, and this works
across projects and can look into system headers if you like.  To build,
I give "M-x compile" and use "make -C /path/to/build/ target", and
subsequently "M-x recompile", for debugging, "M-x gdb"

  mpiexec -n 1 gdb -i=mi --args /path/to/build/src/tests/trouble args : -n 3 /path/to/build/src/tests/trouble args

(rank 0 of a 4-process job)

I don't see how an in-source build would make any of this easier, but it
would limit me to one configuration.

Jed