[CMake] Visual Studio GNU make projects

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 13:16:15 EDT 2007

On 6/1/07, John Donovan <john.donovan at embryonicstudios.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to CMake and the list, so forgive me if this has been asked before.
> We have a requirement to use GNU make to build our code, but we want to use
> Visual Studio 2005 as the IDE. Can CMake produce VS makefile projects but
> with a custom make command?

CMake can produce a makefile project.  You could then treat that as an
External Project in VS 2005.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h27k75y5(VS.80).aspx  I think
you'd have to do this yourself from within Visual Studio.  I don't
think CMake has any inherent support for VS External Projects.

You could also use CMake to produce a Visual Studio project, and
implement all compiler shennanigans yourself using ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND.
  This would be similar to how I drive the Chicken Scheme compiler.
http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org if you want to see my
build.

What's so great about GNU Make?  Sounds like a legacy issue you should
dump.  Unless it's an underlying 3rd party library, in which case you
don't touch that build, you just wrap it with an ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND
and let it do its own thing completely independently.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every