[CMake] Visual Studio GNU make projects

John Donovan john.donovan at embryonicstudios.com
Mon Jun 4 04:52:41 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandon Van Every" <bvanevery at gmail.com>
To: <cmake at cmake.org>
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: [CMake] Visual Studio GNU make projects

> You could also use CMake to produce a Visual Studio project, and
> implement all compiler shennanigans yourself using ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND.
>  This would be similar to how I drive the Chicken Scheme compiler.
> http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org if you want to see my
> build.

That sounds like a good idea.

> What's so great about GNU Make?  Sounds like a legacy issue you should
> dump.  Unless it's an underlying 3rd party library, in which case you
> don't touch that build, you just wrap it with an ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND
> and let it do its own thing completely independently.

Yeah, the piece of hardware I'm compiling for uses GNU Make in Cygwin for
its libraries and makefile includes and whatnot. At this stage I don't fancy
rewriting the entire 3rd party build system only to have it overwritten with
the next update!
So a custom command seems to be the way to go, thanks Brandon.

-J