[cable] Compiling error - panic function?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Mar 12 10:08:54 EST 2002

Eduardo,

> The problem in my case is that it is using a tcl.h in
> /usr/local/include (unknown version) instead of /usr/include (8.3
> version). I can solve it just removing the former, but it doesn't look
> to me a very confortable solution. Isn't it configurable?

It is configurable if you turn on editing of advanced options in cmake,
but that won't help in this case.  CMake will never add a -I/usr/include
because compilers will break in certain cases if the option is used.
Therefore, you can never have a header in /usr/include override a header
from elsewhere.  This is a limitation of the compilers, not of CMake,
Cable, or Tcl.

You could create your own directory for Tcl and put symbolic links to the
files in /usr/include, and then configure that as the TCL_INCLUDE_PATH in
the CMake advanced settings for Cable.  Then, make sure it links to the
proper libraries also (after compiling).

I would suggest that you remove the old version of Tcl.  I think this
would be the "comfortable" solution.  A machine shouldn't have multiple
versions of the Tcl libraries unless each is in an isolated location.
The /usr and /usr/local directories are not isolated from each other very
well since paths using both show up everywhere in system configuration
files.

-Brad