[vtkusers] Feature edges extraction with associated dihedral angle

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Sun Mar 3 21:17:57 EST 2019

Hi Guillaume,

I do not know of a smarter way to get what you want than to do one of the
solutions you have described. You could modify vtkFeatureEdges to produce
the output you want and submit it in a merge request on GitLab [1] and make
the feature available to future users of the class.

By the way, we are transitioning from the mailing list to
https://discourse.vtk.org/. Please post future questions there.

Thanks,
Cory

[1] https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 5:59 PM Guillaume Jacquenot <
guillaume.jacquenot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear VTK users,
>
> I am working with a vtkPolyData made of triangles.
>
> I would like to identify the feature edges WITH:
>
> - the two associated triangle indices to store their normals
> - the corresponding dihedral angle.
>
> These results could be respectively CellData vectors and scalar of
> vtkFeatureEdge output, for example.
>

> 1) Using vtkFeatureEdge returns a new vtkPolyData with no link with
> original triangles. Do I have to iterate over points of the generated
> vtkFeatureEdge to find the closest triangle on vtkPolyData. But it does not
> seem smart at all.
>
> 2) Rewrite vtkFeatureEdge class with only FeatureEdges=1 seems possible.
> But is there a smarter solution?
>
> 3) Can vtkPolyDataNormals brings a smarter answer?
>
> Thanks you for reading and your future answer!
>
> Guillaume

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer