[vtkusers] How to read and store face values (OpenFOAM)

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Jan 7 14:25:30 EST 2019

VTK doesn't have solid built in support for this.

The prevailing strategy for data that is not strictly aligned on points or
cells is to make a field data array and then add to the cells/points an
index array that points into the field array. The indexing can make use of
standard face and edge ordering for cases where a single cell requires
multiple values. Gauss Points (
https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/images/7/78/VTK-Quadrature-Point-Design-Doc.pdf)
and XDMF's FiniteElementFunctions are examples.

Note that the approach tends to lead to custom filters that know how to
work with these "non-standard" data arrays.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer