[vtkusers] vtkAVIWriter with renderer gradient background shows distinct lines

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Tue Nov 27 11:11:16 EST 2018

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of experience with the AVI compression
options. You might experiment with vtkAVIWriter::SetCompressorFourCC() to
see if you can find a compressor that gives more satisfactory results.

Personally I prefer to dump animation frames and assemble them with outside
video software.

Cory

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 9:26 AM Santosh Biradar <scbiradar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response Cory.
> I tried setting quality to 0,1,2. The quality of the movie was best for 2
> and worst for 0 but the background remained the same in each case.
> The quality of the output of the  filter (in this case, a
> vtkContourFilter) reduces with reduction in SetQuality but the background
> remains of the same quality.
> There is no difference in the quality of the background.
>
> I also get the same behavior in Paraview's Save Animation feature (version
> 5.5 on windows)
>
> Thanks,
> Santosh
>

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:29 PM Cory Quammen <cory.quammen at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Sounds like quantization/compression artifacts. You can try changing the
>> quality setting to reduce compression via vtkAVIWriter::SetQuality().
>>
>> HTH,
>> Cory
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 8:55 AM Santosh Biradar <scbiradar at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to create a movie of an animation using vtkAVIWriter.
>>> The renderer has a gradient background. The .avi file created has
>>> distinct lines/bands in the background because of the gradient. Is it
>>> possible to get rid of these lines. I notice that if I use a vtkBMPWriter
>>> and write an image, the image seems fine without any such lines/bands.
>>>
>>> A code snippet of what I am doing:
>>>
>>> window_to_image = vtk.vtkWindowToImageFilter()
>>> window_to_image.SetInput(renWin.GetRenderWindow())
>>> window_to_image.SetInputBufferTypeToRGB()

--
Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer