[vtkusers] VTKBlender installation, VTK compile configurations

Chris Want cjwant at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 11:51:24 EDT 2018

Hi Alex,

I haven't run VTKBlender on Ubuntu for a while as there are some
issues with the current release of Ubuntu 18.04: the available Python
versions are Python 3.6 or 3.7, but current Blender uses Python 3.5.
If you aren't running the latest Ubuntu, you may not have this issue,
but assuming you are also on 18.04, there are a couple of ways around
this:

1) There is a (non-official) Ubuntu repository for older python
versions where you could get Python 3.5:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/682869/how-do-i-install-a-different-python-version-using-apt-get
2) There are downloads for the Blender beta version 2.80 which uses
Python 3.6: https://builder.blender.org/download (although I haven't
tried this, with this option, you might not need to build VTK as the
Ubuntu packages should work with Python 3.6)
3) Build your own Blender or Python

My most recent VTK build on Ubuntu, I have the following
CMakeCache.txt:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12t3rqpKGQZGzBfHnRFoLiwkNF6eP7pe8
(Although you won't be able to use this file directly, it might help you debug).

Regards,
Chris