[vtkusers] VTKBlender installation, VTK compile configurations

Alexander2 alexander.woltersom at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 02:27:21 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to VTK and I would like to ask some clarification on how to
compile VTK to make it work with Blender. I am using Blender 2.79b which is
using python 3.5.3. I am running everything on MacOS
I found this very promising work by Chris Want, however it unfortunate that
the GitHub page is somewhat vague on what settings are used while compiling
and installing VTK.
VTKBlender Github <https://github.com/cwant/VTKBlender>
This is where I expect things to go wrong for me because my VTK_build folder
does not contain a "/lib/python3.5/site-packages" folder. Even after I
enable the "VTK_WRAP_PYTHON" configuration.
I know that Blender has his own python interpreter and I have also tried to
link the:
PYTHON_EXECUTABLE to
/Applications/Blender/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/python/lib/python3.5
PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR to
/Applications/Blender/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/python/include/python3.5m
PYTHON_LIBRARY to
/Applications/Blender/blender.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libiomp5.dylib

However without success, I was not able to configure it like that.
I get errors like:
CMake Error at CMake/FindPythonLibs.cmake:183 (FILE):
  FILE STRINGS file

"/Applications/Blender/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/python/include/python3.5m/patchlevel.h"
  cannot be read.

I feel a little bit lost on what to do as there are so many parameters.

Awaiting your suggestions and explanation,
Alex