[vtkusers] How to run VTK with display driver supporting OpenGL version < 3.0

Shawn Waldon shawn.waldon at kitware.com
Wed Jul 18 09:34:45 EDT 2018

Hi Jay,

It is a bit confusing I agree.  OpenGL2 should really be named OpenGLNew or
something like that, the 2 just means it is the second OpenGL-based
backend.  The minimum version supported with the "OpenGL2" backend is
OpenGL 3.2.  So for your hardware, you are limited to the "OpenGL"
backend.  Unless you compile with Mesa as your GL driver and use software
rendering to get the newer OpenGL standard for the "OpenGL2" backend.  It
will probably be slower, but will let you use features of the newer backend
(or newer VTK versions) if you need them.

HTH,
Shawn