[vtkusers] Where is the math behind world to display coordinates and vice versa, implemented in vtk?

Allie Vacanti allison.vacanti at kitware.com
Wed Jan 31 08:55:45 EST 2018

VTK uses the standard transformation process used in OpenGL. There are a
few tutorials online that give an overview of this, one that I've found
useful in the past is here:

http://www.songho.ca/opengl/gl_transform.html

As for the VTK-specific implementation, the code that implements this
process is spread out across several locations in vtkOpenGLCamera,
vtkRenderer, and vtkViewport. The class vtkCoordinate provides a convenient
API to convert coordinates between display/world or to any intermediate
coordinate system.

If you're only concerned with world <-> display and are interested in
seeing the math used, a more compact replication of this transformation
logic can be found in the (internal) FastDepthAwareCoordinateConverter
class here:

https://github.com/Kitware/VTK/blob/master/Rendering/Core/vtkBillboardTextActor3D.cxx#L62-L193

HTH,
Allie