[vtkusers] Stereo problem for ray cast volumes

gohlinchia gohlinchia at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 10:41:06 EST 2018

Hi Aashish,

We have tried Crystal Eyes, Anaglyph, Red-Blue and even horizontal split
viewports mode. They all render incorrectly the same way. We have tried on
NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards (GT640, GTX 1050 and FirePro W5170M); same
issues too.

We have downloaded ParaView 5.4.1 and activated the stereo rendering on
volumes. Exactly the same problems on all the above hardware.

We searched the forum and noticed that this problem was mentioned a few
times before:

[VTK 0011650]: The crystal eyes stereo image can not render well.
(http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/VTK-0011650-The-crystal-eyes-stereo-image-can-not-render-well-tp3325497.html)

Sounds similar but not exactly the same: Strange stereo effect with Volume
Rendering
(http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Strange-stereo-effect-with-Volume-Rendering-tp1230876.html)

We are currently using VTK 8.1.0 but we understand from other developers
that they also encounter the same problems with VTK 7.1.1. The following
image is a sample of what we see in anaglyph stereo.

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t342340/Red-Cyan_%281%29.png>

The final rendered stereo image may look like it is in stereo but upon close
inspection, it is not. The rendered left and right image of the volumes are
clearly exactly the same, except that they are slightly displaced. This is
very evident in the horizontal split viewports mode.

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t342340/Split_Viewports.png>

Note that polygonal meshes are all displayed correctly in stereo, even in
conjunction with the volumes. Do you have any idea what is wrong here?

Thanks.