[vtkusers] probe volume with thick line ( intensity profile with line radius or thickness )

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 14:51:18 EST 2018

Hi Greg,

VTK provides an easy way to replace each point on the line with many points:

replicate = vtk.vtkGlyph3D()
replicate.SetInputConnection(lineSource.GetOutputPort())
replicate.SetSourceConnection(otherSource.GetOutputPort())

The output of "replicate" will replace each single point in "lineSource"
with all of the points in "otherSource".  For example, "otherSource" could
be a short line at a right angle to the original line.  The result would be
a ribbon.  Or "otherSource" could be a

So if "otherSource" has N points, then after probing with the replicate
output, it would be necessary to average every "N" points in order to get
the value of each point on the "thick" line.

The problem with using a tube is that it is hollow.  Several concentric
tubes would be needed to get an average over various radii.

Cheers,
 - David