[vtkusers] how to show line and point color with cell scalars and point normals

Andreas Buykx A.Buykx at dianafea.com
Wed Aug 29 07:03:11 EDT 2018

I have vtkMultiBlockDataSet containing vtkPolyData blocks which I want to render using vtkCompositePolyDataMapper2

The polydata blocks represent solid shapes, with strips or polys representing the surface, lines representing edges on the surfaces or bounding them, and vertices representing the end-points of the edges.
The topology and connectivity is supplied by an external library which can also supply point normals for the points connected to surface cells. To make the normals attribute array complete I have given the points connected to line and vertex cells zero-length normals. When I use the point normals to map the surface the edges and vertices are shown black because I have set their point normals to zero. So far the only solution I have found to work is to split the polydata into a surface polydata and an edge/vertex polydata and render the edge/vertex polydata with only ambient light.

My question is whether there is a way to set up the mapper to render lines/vertices with only ambient lighting and surface cells with the actual lighting settings and the point normal?

Thanks for your help

DIANA FEA BV
Software Developers and Analysis Consultants for Civil and Geotechnical Engineering

Delftechpark 19a, 2628XJ, Delft, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 88 34262 15 (Direct) │ Tel: +31 88 34262 00 (Switchboard) │ Fax: +31 88 34262 99
http://dianafea.com<http://dianafea.com/>