[vtkusers] Embed VTK in a GUI

manhta152 niuton152 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 05:58:58 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I have a computational modeling program that has been written in Matlab. I
developed a GUI in Matlab and used VTK to visualize and interact (transform,
cut, deform, etc.,) CAD models. However, Matlab GUI does not support
embedding VTK, resulting in a separate Matlab GUI and a VTK rendering
window. I have looked for options to embed VTK in a GUI that works similar
to 3D Slicer. I know that I can do it in Qt, Python and PyQt, Python and Tk,
Jave, and C#.

The problem is my program consists of many matrix-based calculations that
may take a great deal of effort if I develop the program in Qt and C#.
Python is quite close to Matlab that I think I can develop the program in a
short period and save time.

For those who have experience in developing an app using VTK and PyQt,
please let me know I should use VTK and PyQt4 or PyQt5 and why?

Also, if you think Qt or C# can work more efficiently than Python (I don't
have much experience in Qt), please let me know your thoughts and share with
me how I can work efficiently with matrices in Qt and C#.

Thanks in advance. I do appreciate any input.

Regards,
Manh