[vtkusers] Combination Volume plot

Sankhesh Jhaveri sankhesh.jhaveri at kitware.com
Wed Apr 11 14:55:49 EDT 2018

Hi Mark,

A couple of ways come to mind -

   1. You could create a single vtkImageData with multiple scalar
   components in the array and set
   vtkVolumeProperty::SetIndependentComponents(true). When passing the
   color and opacity functions, you’d have to specify the component the
   respective function belongs to. I am not positive, but I believe some areas
   of the code might be restricting this 4 components. Note that this method
   would work as long as the volumes are not overlapping in physical space.
   2. We recently added support for a multiple overlapping volumes in the
   GPU volume mapper via vtkMultiVolume. See
   TestGPURayCastMultiVolumeOverlapping
   <https://github.com/Kitware/VTK/blob/master/Rendering/Volume/Testing/Cxx/TestGPURayCastMultiVolumeOverlapping.cxx>
   for an example.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Sankhesh
​

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 2:38 PM <mark.ostroot at lickenbrocktech.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on an application to take 1 Volume and apply
> different color maps to different opacity functions in a combined view.
> Essentially I am taking my data and applying different opacity functions to
> it in order to bring our different materials within the volume. Ideally I
> want to create a combination volume with each of these other volumes with
> different color maps applied to each sub volume in the combination volume.
> I'm uncertain of how to create a combination volume with a bunch of
> different color maps inside of it, though I have the different opacity
> functions and individual color maps working. I'm using VTK 8.0 and QT 5.10.
>
> I appreciate any Ideas or guidance anyone has.
>
> Thank you for your time,
> -Mark

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Sankhesh Jhaveri *Sr. Research & Development Engineer* | Kitware
<http://www.kitware.com/> | (518) 881-4417
​