[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] VTKBook Strawman - Chapter 3

Jon Haitz Legarreta jhlegarreta at vicomtech.org
Fri Apr 6 02:20:58 EDT 2018

Bill, Andrew, simply brilliant.

I've spot some parts in the Chapters 3 and 6 strawmans that were
already mentioned by you and Todd whose transition has some errors
(links that are missing, missing cross-reference links to VTK classes,
examples or bibliography, etc.).

How can we contribute to fix them? Are you still working on the
transition tools to improve the output, or you want us to manually try
to fix them?

I can help with/do all the Maths in LaTeX Bill. However, if the tool
you found works or the transition will be automatic, I do not see
where to help at this stage. Please, let me know.

Otherwise, it's looking awesome.

As for the LaTeX vs. Markdown/reStrucuredText discussion:

I've contributed with some patches to the ITK SW Guide written in
LaTeX. I guess at the time it was written Markdown and reStrucuredText
were not available, so I think the choice was fair.

Having said that, I admit that the learning curve for LaTeX may be
higher than that for Markdown or reStrucuredText. The latter are
tailored for web navigation, which is most people expect. And times
have changed. I ignore whether Markdown/reStrucuredText support for
tools to have proper printed texts is likely to be improved.

I guess the ITK SW Guide requiring to be compiled (both the examples
to generate the figures and LaTeX itself) is not a downside, since VTK
Cxx examples used in this book need so.

I guess having a first version for both cases (LaTeX and
Markdown/reStrucuredText) is somehow costly at the beginning.
Maintaining/sync'ing them once that is done every time there is a
change may not effortless also. But that may be the price to pay.

The ITK SW Guide keeps being maintained. I ignore whether the ITK
folks at Kitware have considered to transition to Markdown or
reStrucuredText.

JON HAITZ