[vtkusers] Large volume render + box/line intersection

vtk_noob bogdan.stefanescu at accent.ro
Tue Apr 3 03:23:22 EDT 2018

Hello everybody,

I am new to vtk so please go easy on me

I have written some code that creates a volume made of "voxels" - basically
a *glyph3d* with a *cubeSource* as the base element and a *polyData* with
the "voxel" (center) coordinates as the input data for the glyph.

The main point of the code is to compute the intersection of a line with the
above mentioned volume and the length through each voxel - I`m using the
*vtkBox::IntersectWithLine*, so when I`m creating the polyData I`m also
creating a "bounds" array that will contain the bounds of each "voxel".

I`ve gotten satisfactory results with small volumes, but what I need in the
end is to use a 250x250x250 "voxels" volume.

I`ve managed to display about 8mil voxels, although the FPS is terrible...

Should I have taken a different approach to this?
Would the OBBTree (IntersectWithLine) be better suited for this?

Regarding the rendering, I`m getting some strange behavior: the program uses
around 6-7GB (RAM) to generate everything and up to a total of 10-12GB after
the volume has been displayed. This is just for the rendering (8 million
voxels), I`m writing the intersection results in separate files, on the HDD.
After a couple of minutes this drops to a couple of GB and in the end to
just 500MB... is this normal (some sort of garbage collection)?

Thanks!