[vtkusers] Convex hull of spherical point cloud has holes

Amit amit112amit at yahoo.co.in
Wed Sep 13 13:57:25 EDT 2017

Hi everyone.

I finally found a working solution to my problem which I would like to
share in case it may help someone else.
I had a curious observation that the point clouds (generated as a vector
of doubles through some optimization) for which I was not able to
programatically generate a convex hull using VTK C++ functions, if I
wrote the point coordinates to a VTK file and opened it in Paraview and
applied vtkDelaunay3D filter, I was getting a proper convex hull. Thus,
I guessed that the issue may be due to some floating point corner cases
because my point co-ordinates were stored as double in my original
program but in the course of writing to file and reading back there
might be some loss of precision which seems to fix the issue. With this
as an hypothesis, in my original program, I rounded off all the point
coordinates to just 2 decimal places and now I get proper convex hull
without using Paraview! If you noticed my original use case scenario, I
am simply interested in the topology of the cells and this loss of
precision is not a deal-breaker. So this solution works well enough for me.

Thanks and regards,
Amit