[vtkusers] Problem with Data in VTK

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Sep 13 10:58:24 EDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 2:12 AM, Jennifer Lee <lee_jennifer_82 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>    Thanks so much for the reply.
>
> Please ignore my poor knowledge. I’m really having trouble in
> understanding.

No worries, this confuses lots of people including me.

> I’ve data in the following directory:
>
> C:\VTK\VTKData-8.0.1\VTK-8.0.1\.ExternalData\MD5. Now, the files look
> like something below:
>
> 00b6935d399b80e4f9edc1414a4c363f
> 00ba7d9399c914edb4a6faa0b10ae7e5
> 00d2efba0581fb7d436bcc45a9acedcb
> 00d49b1746f315992fac476892c681ae
> :
> :
> :
> :
> I really don’t understand what they mean. It seems to me  these are some
> encrypted names which need to be decrypted. I don’t know how to do that.

These are checksums of the real data files. Cmake and git know that they
have to download a different file whenever the data file's checksum doesn't
agree with the above.

> I built with TESTING_ON, now data are available in the “Testing” directory
> too. Suppose I’d like to run the Medical examples. Now, data is available
> in the following directory:

*C:\VTK\VTK-8.0.1\Testing\Data\headsq*

> With VTK_DATA_ROOT set to C:\VTK\VTK-8.0.1\Testing
>
> But these are all MD5 files. So the following line of the code does not
> find the data:
>
> *v16 SetFilePrefix  "$VTK_DATA_ROOT/Data/headsq/quarter".*
>
> Please help me how to make things work. If I've missed any step, please
> let me know.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Where is you build directory? I highly recommend always keeping your VTK
source directory and your VTK build directory separate.

Assuming you've built VTK in C:\VTK\VTK-8.0.1, try setting VTK_DATA_ROOT to
C:\VTK\VTK-8.0.1\ExternalData\Testing. This is where the data file links
are. The real data files are elsewhere in files with MD5 names, but for all
intents and purposes the data link files that refer to them work as if they
were the read data files.