[vtkusers] Problem with Data in VTK

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Sep 12 12:31:39 EDT 2017

We changed the structure of regression test data in 6.1 to allow developers
to make proposed changes to code and data concurrently and ensure that the
continuous integration test machines do not fail when they run new tests on
old data.

The net result is that a VTK build tree has test data files that are
actually symbolic links to the md5 files which live elsewhere. You can
generally open and use the symbolic links exactly as you would a normal
data file. If you turn on testing in your build, cmake will try to download
each one of the files. Alternatively you can untar the source and data
packages for a release in the same directory and the default build setup
will use them and avoid downloading anything else.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive