[vtkusers] Inresolved external for QVTKWidget in VTK-8.0.1.

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Mon Oct 16 10:10:47 EDT 2017

> In the project settings I set from Debug version to Release version and I
> can link the porject now. It seems that the VTK Relase libaries cannot be
> used with Debug version of the QtCreator project. I was not careful enough
> when I tried to buil the debug version of the Qt app. Thanks a lot for the
> linker output info!

Ah, glad to hear it. I started experimenting myself in a Windows VM,
and came up with this .pro file for my minimal test (the cone example
adapted to use a QVTKOpenGLWidget promoted from QWidget in the Design
mode):

CONFIG += c++11
QT += core gui widgets
TARGET = VTKQtQMakeTest
TEMPLATE = app
SOURCES += main.cpp mainwindow.cpp
HEADERS += mainwindow.h
FORMS += mainwindow.ui

INCLUDEPATH += C:/Users/Elvis/Dev/VTK-8.0.1-inst/include/vtk-8.0
DEFINES += vtkRenderingCore_AUTOINIT=$$shell_quote(2(vtkInteractionStyle,vtkRenderingOpenGL2))
LIBS += -L"C:/Users/Elvis/Dev/VTK-8.0.1-inst/lib"
LIBS += -lvtkCommonCore-8.0 \
        -lvtkCommonDataModel-8.0 \
        -lvtkCommonExecutionModel-8.0 \
        -lvtkCommonMath-8.0 \
        -lvtkCommonMisc-8.0 \
        -lvtkCommonTransforms-8.0 \
        -lvtkFiltersCore-8.0 \
        -lvtkFiltersSources-8.0 \
        -lvtkGUISupportQt-8.0 \
        -lvtkInteractionStyle-8.0 \
        -lvtkRenderingCore-8.0 \
        -lvtkRenderingOpenGL2-8.0

I think when using QMake, you will have to mess about with the
initialization of implementation modules [1] in order for the program
to run, either by using DEFINES like I did above, or using
VTK_MODULE_INIT. This is something you can get "for free" when using
CMake.

I could never run my test app, since the VM (VirtualBox) doesn't have
a sufficient OpenGL implementation. But it compiled and linked at
least.

Elvis

[1] https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Build_System_Migration#How_Implementation_Modules_Are_Initialized