[vtkusers] Windows 10 does not support Microsoft Video 1

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Oct 4 20:01:08 EDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 12:20 AM, Entwicklung Kornicki <
kornicki.entwicklung at chello.at> wrote:

> There is a class called vtkAVIWriter. We use this class to record the
> video.
>
> https://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkAVIWriter.html
>
> This class has a couple of methods such as PromptCompressionOptionsOn
> which allow to set whether the compressor options should be displayed, but
> I do not see any possibility to modify in detail which compressor options
> should be selectable.

Yikes, a VTK class shouldn't present user interface elements like that, but
rather leave it up to the application.

My problem is that when I run our program and start capturing the video, it
> displays "Micosoft Video 1" as the first item of possible codecs to be
> used, but videos created using "Microsoft Video 1" apparently cannot be
> played by the standard video player of Windows 10. That is why I would like
> to remove this option but don't know how to do that.

Unfortunately, I don't know if that is possible from outside vtkAVIWriter.
See
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd756791(v=vs.85).aspx
how you can choose a different default from within vtkAVIWriter.cxx.

Best,
Cory

> Best regards,
> Claus Volko
>

> Am 07.09.2017 um 17:08 schrieb Cory Quammen:
>
>> With Kitware VTK 5.8, when using the functionality to save the action that
>>> is going on in the window as an AVI file and prompting compressor
>>> options,
>>> the default codec is "Microsoft Video 1". Unfortunately, I noticed that
>>> when
>>> you save an AVI file with this codec, the default video player of
>>> Windows 10
>>> will not be able to play the video. That's a bad thing. However, if I
>>> choose
>>> another codec from the list, such as "Intel IYUV Codec", playback works.
>>> That's the good news.
>>>
>>> Is there some way to make Kitware VTK 5.8 show only such codecs that work
>>> with the default video player of Windows 10?
>>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by the "functionality to save the action".
>> Could you describe what you are doing? Are you running an example?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Cory
>>
>> Best regards,
>>> Claus Volko