[vtkusers] Issues with coordinate conversion, possible VTK bugs?

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Fri May 26 16:06:49 EDT 2017

> Hi Elvis and Dan,
> Thank you very much for the response. After setting the render window
> SetNumberOfLayers(2) and setting the renderer with text SetLayer(1), both
> the layers with the DICOM images and the layer with the text can show up.
> But, the problem still persists. I still cannot get the correct world
> coordinates by using the following function:
>
> def display_to_world2(self, pt):
>     worldPt = [0, 0, 0, 0]
>     vtk.vtkInteractorObserver.ComputeDisplayToWorld(self.renderer_dicom,
> pt[0], pt[1], 0, worldPt)
>     return worldPt[0] / worldPt[3], worldPt[1] / worldPt[3], worldPt[2] /
> worldPt[3]
>
> The z returned is always 86.33.
>
> Meanwhile, I cannot use the world picker either, because it still picks the
> text's world coordinate.
>
> So, either I can make the above function work on the DICOM renderer or I
> have to make the world picker not picking up anything on the text renderer.
> I am not sure how I can get any of these two ways done.

Could you try turning interaction off on the renderer you use for your
"foreground" objects. In my code I have:

    auto foregroundRenderer = vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderer>::New();
    foregroundRenderer->InteractiveOff();
    foregroundRenderer->SetLayer(1);
    GetRenderWindow()->SetNumberOfLayers(2);

Hope that helps, it's the last idea I have :p

Elvis