[vtkusers] vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D in VTK 7.1?

Alvaro Sanchez alvaro.sanchez at kitware.com
Fri May 26 09:03:50 EDT 2017

Hi Simon,

sorry for the delay.

- Will this work as well with real number, not only integers ? Let's say an
> ImageSampleDistance of 1.4 ? Like it is possible for the
> FixedRayCastVolumeMapper.

Yes, supports real numbers.

> - Will there be a mechanism that can make some use of this during
> interaction, like the Fixed ray cast mapper ? There are these methods
> called SetMinimumImageSampleDistance/SetMaximumImageSampleDistance,
> together used with the SetInteractiveSampleDistance they gives us a great
> flexibility over the tuning of the rendering during interaction. Will there
> be an equivalent mechanism with the GPU implementation ?

This is not currently supported in the GPU implementation. One thing we
need to review is the current
implementation of UpdateSamplingDistance, to ensure it makes use of
ImageSampleDistance (xy-sampling)
as well,  not only SampleDistance (ray-sampling distance).  Adding a
mechanism similar to that in
FixedRayCastMapper would make sense.

> - I always found the naming ImageSampleDistance quite confusing, shouldn't
> that be renamed to ImageSampling or something else to avoid confusion with
> the SamplingDistance ? RenderedImageSampling/FinalImageSampling vs
> RaySampling ?

It is indeed confusing at first glance, it has remained like that for
historical reasons I guess. It would probably
make sense to review the API of GPURayCast at some point.

> - The current implementation is mixing the 2 parameters, it looks like the
> SamplingDistance along the ray is clamped using the
> Minimum/MaximumImageSampleDistance right now (line 3008 of
> the vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx). Is this intended ?

I could not find the line you are referring to, might be that the code is
out of date. Could you look again in
the code and tell me if you still can see this?

> - Does that works with the jittering option enabled ?

Yes, this should work with jittering on.

Cheers!

Alvaro Sanchez
Kitware, Inc.
Senior R&D Engineer