[vtkusers] Too many emails

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Mon May 8 10:08:52 EDT 2017

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 13:24:50 +0000, Andras Lasso wrote:
> > Is visiting the webpage completely avoidable (how much information
> > is lost by doing email-only)?
>
> You can do everything from email and all information is included in
> the emails that are sent out. I'm not sure if you can set
> category/subcategory, tags, etc. when you create a new topic by email,
> but it is better to create new topics using the web interface anyway,
> as you can also preview formatting, mention people, copy-paste images
> directly from the clipboard, get suggestions to related posts before
> submitting a new topic, etc.
>
> > Email works for me because I can handle lots of projects in one
> > place without having to visit umpteen different websites
>
> Same here, it's good to have one inbox for all incoming questions and
> requests. The nice thing is that you can still get emails as usual,
> but if you visit the website you get lots of additional features.

And therefore, I'd just tend to not use those features… My question is:
"how much does that matter?".

> If the website asks me to log in (rarely happens, as it usually keeps
> me logged in), then I log in with a single click on "login with
> GitHub".

I don't like giving things access to my Github profile…things tend to
ask for *way* too many permissions :( . For example, there is *no*
reason that Gerrit should *require* write access to my repositories
(private ones too!). Most of this is Github's fault for having a really
coarse permission model…

And Google requires re-auth once a month (or so). Maybe because I have
two-factor enabled.

--Ben