[vtkusers] render large point cloud with variable color and size

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Mar 24 10:57:23 EDT 2017

Yes it is, probably your best starting point (assuming a recent 7.0 or
later VTK with the new OpenGL backend) would be vtkPointGaussianMapper

https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/Rendering/Core/vtkPointGaussianMapper.h

with examples (C++ sorry) here

https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/Rendering/OpenGL2/Testing/Cxx/TestPointGaussianMapper.cxx

and here

https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/Rendering/OpenGL2/Testing/Cxx/TestPointGaussianMapperOpacity.cxx

While it is called "Gaussian" it can do flat splats as well etc as you can
specify shader code for the splat.

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Tudor Achim <tachim at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have a quick basic usage question -- hope this is possible within VTK.
> Right now I've got a python module that can render a point cloud with 2.5m
> elements. What I'd like to do is add functionality to have per-point
> colors, per-point sizes, and a per-point selector so I can execute code
> based on which point is selected. I have searched the mailing list and the
> one thread about VTKPointCloud didn't seem to address the first two
> questions. Is it possible to do this in VTK?
>
> Thanks!
> Tudor

> opensource/opensource.html

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.